Friday, August 5, 2011

Gold

Gold-- I don't get it.

Yes, I know people have made a lot of money investing in gold (just like they did during the dotcom bubble), but I still don't have a clue why. It's pretty, sort of rare and has minimal industrial value, but I still don't get why it continues to increase in value.

What am I missing? It doesn't grow or produce a thing. You can't eat it. It pays no interest or dividend. It has limited industrial or practical value. Sure it may be pretty and make nice jewelry, but that's about it.

It's heavy and hard to transport, so if there really was an apocalyptic event what good would it be? Again you couldn't eat it or kill something with it. Who'd accept it in trade for what?

I'm not kidding, I don't get it. Somebody please enlighten me. I feel like the kid from the Emperor's new clothes fairytale. Gold isn't really worth anywhere near today's market price.

Eric

1 comment:

  1. I have no argument against that. Gold seems like a mutually-agreed-upon asset.

    JA

    ReplyDelete