Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Modest Proposal

I have avoided commenting on my blog on Israeli Palestinian matters for several reasons; not the least of which is that I'm not much of an expert (not that that stops most people) on the subject.

I'm quite discouraged about Israel, but my views won't add much except to emphasize the double standard to which Israel is held. However, I would recommend Tony Judt's Op Ed in the NY Times today , which was pretty good for someone who is constantly critical of Israel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/opinion/10judt.html?ref=opinion

Having recently visited the area, what really hit me was that it's tough when you live in a country where your neighbors want to kill you and most of the rest of the world ( including the Left in the US) hates you. I chose my words carefully and I don't feel they are an exaggeration. I don't think there is a solution on any reasonable time horizon and that is why I am discouraged.

Clearly Israel needs to make a change. Here's a modest proposal--- I think Israel should call Hamas' bluff. Agree to lift the blockade on Gaza in exchange for a simple statement that Israel has the right to exist. Nothing more simple than that. It would be a good start.

Who could object to the right to exist?

If Hamas rejects that , what will the so called "peace activists" say? Of course they won't bat an eye, but at least the rest of the world might see that Hamas doesn't want peace and a two state solution. It's hard to clap with one hand.

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment